Saturday, August 21, 2010

Catching Up

We've been so busy since we've gotten back from Idaho, I feel like I haven't had time to catch my breath. My work furlough is coming up though so I am hoping I will have a chance to sit back and relax a little bit. This week we had our first visit to the old folks' home. There is a retirement/assisted living home about 2 blocks from our house. Ruby, Lucy and I are volunteering to go and visit the residents there once or twice a month. It's something I have been wanting to do for a long time and I think it's going to be good for all of us. When we got there, it was about 6 ladies sitting in a circle while the activities director read their horoscopes. They brightened right up when we got there. Ruby went on a little walk with one woman and saw some yellow flowers. I passed Lucy around the circles and the ladies made her smile and kissed her on the head and kept her from chewing on their emergency "I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up" necklaces. They were so happy to see the girls. Ruby showed them her twirl and told them about her "friend Kayla." When we did leave, one woman grabbed my hand and said, "Thank you for bringing your babies!" It was a lot of fun!

In another feel-good moment, I was walking down the street on Thursday with Lucy in her carrier and Ruby holding my hand and this older couple stopped me as we walked by and the woman said, "You have the most beautiful family!" and I thought..."I really do!" Lucy is seen here holding a special rattle from Australia brought to her by our dear friend Shannon (Ruby's favorite librarian - she even outranks ME!). It is hand carved and Lucy ADORES it. Lucy is really anxious to get on the move though it appears that she just wants to skip this whole crawling thing altogether. She gets on her hands and knees, in crawling form...and then gets on her feet so she's doing the downward facing dog yoga move and then tries to move forward that way. Doesn't quite work but she's really really trying.

My other favorite thing is that when she sees me when I get home at the end of the day, her entire body is happy. She laughs, claps her hands and bounces up and down. I heart that.....

Oh man...I thought Ruby used to talk a lot before...she is a crazy talker these days and has the greatest inflection in her voice when telling her stories. She was telling me about the sonic boom (the one that freaked us all out last week) today and how it was really loud and made her very nervous "just like Dawn's tv" (referencing an incident that happened in February). I love to watch her little mind work and see how she figures out the order of things in the world.

Well, we'll keep updating especially as things calm down a bit around here (hopefully!). More soon...

No comments: