Friday, December 18, 2009

Breech of Contract

So, we had our 37 week appointment today and it seems this baby, though in the correct position 2 weeks ago, has flopped herself around and is now in a breech position. Oblique breech to be exact. We had a quick ultrasound to determine where her head is and lo and behold, it's pointing to my left side. Hmmm...this is not where you are supposed to be little baby!! This is not what we agreed upon!



Evidently, there are many techniques to try to get the baby to assume the proper position...some include different ways of sitting, acupuncture, manually pushing her around, and sitting over a flashlight (not even kidding). These are just the few that my doctor mentioned...I haven't had the courage or the patience to google this to see what other things to try but I am guessing that I will find a plethora of information about this.



Because I live in Seattle, I was able to get an acupuncture appointment this very afternoon. I have never had acupuncture before. I am fascinated by it and I know many people who have used it and had great success with it and, get this, my insurance covers it so, I figured, what the hell? Turns out, it's quite lovely. As lovely as having pins stuck in your feet and ears can be anyway. Actually, just getting to sit quietly for 20 minutes in a dark room with soft music playing would have been worth it regardless! Plus it is just woo-woo enough for me to enjoy but not so much that it makes me crazy. Perfect balance!

So, now we wait and hope and send messages to the baby to get her head going SOUTH! Breech babies are auto-C-Section babies in these parts so we want to avoid that if at all possible. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Sitting on a flashlight? Is the baby supposed to head toward the light? Isn't this the wrong signal? Huh.

Come travel with TonyBennett said...

Congratulations, Lupine and family.
Your other mom sent me the hospital photos and she is correct: Lucy is the most beautiful baby ever. She was born on 1/1?
Do you live in WTS. My daughter is having a girl 3/30.
Enjoy,
your drillmate,
Toni