Friday, May 29, 2009

Caca Gafas or Reason #457 Why I Don't Spend More Than $15 on Sunglasses

This actually happened a couple of weeks ago, but I feel I must make this confession. (Caveat: This is not a story for those with weak stomachs. You've been warned.) On one of my days off, Ruby and I went to the zoo with Dara and Kayla. We saw the new penguin exhibit (awesome), we got a membership, we saw the baby gorilla (who was climbing all over his sleeping mother and wiping goobers on her - sound familiar to anyone else with a child?) and we went to lunch. As we were finishing up lunch, I noticed a familiar, unpleasant odor and knew we would need a diaper change before we headed home. I laid Ruby on the front seat (she freaks if I do it on the trunk) and began the change. Well, as I pulled Ruby's legs up, they hit my sunglasses (Ruby calls them "gafas" the Spanish word for glasses) which were hanging off of my shirt and before I could say, "Oh French!" they fell right into the poop. The nice squishy, not solid poop. Splat. To my credit, I uttered nary a curse. I finished up the diaper change and debated what to do. The disgusted part of me said to just chuck them, they were only 10 bucks after-all. The pragmatic side said to just clean them off, it's really sunny and besides, it's just poop. Guess which side won out?



I wore my sunglasses on the drive home, all the while Ruby chanted, "Caca gafas" over and over.



And yes, I DID clean them first (hand wipes, napkins and hand sanitizer)!



Does this make me a bad person?

3 comments:

Jake and Olivia's mom said...

Too funny! I would have done the same thing, especially on a sunny day that you're spending outside!

Monica said...

I'm not judging you. But I am laughing at you! :)

Dara said...

Is it bad that this story only serves to make me want to go back to Kid Valley for a burger. Yes that is what parenthood has come to, overlook the poop!