Saturday, February 21, 2009

Airplanes and Tumbles

Oh yes...the flying with a two-year old deserves its own post. Oh how it's changed since the days of her sleeping peacefully in my arms the entire flight. Now, I have to buy her a seat (a blessing and a curse) and she has things to say ALL the time. Oh and there's very little sleeping.

Did I mention that Ruby was obsessed with airplanes? Every two minutes it was, "Airpane? Airpane?" And all in all, she did really really well. I had packed some snacks and a couple of activities (books, magnadoodle) and she was fine sitting in her carseat the whole time. How she'll do on a flight that lasts beyond 2 hours, I have yet to determine but we will see in May when we fly to the East coast! Anyway, she loved looking at all of the goings on. She liked saying bye to people getting off the plane and even thanked the ticket taker. I was momentarily confused when she seemingly randomly started shouting, "Obama" until I realized that she thought the face on the tail of the Alaska Airlines planes was a picture of our president.

It wasn't all smooth sailing however. I was pretty loaded down with stuff which made going through security and getting to the gate kind of spotty. My diaper bag needs to be repaired so I was using Dustin's. His works for a normal day outing but is much too small for an airplane ride and, if you know me, you know I am not a light packer. I couldn't fit diapers, wipes, books for Ruby, snacks AND reading material for myself (and I refuse to fly without a book and you can't make me!) so, I had two bags -- Ruby's diaper bag and another small bag/carry-on for me. In addition to this, I had Ruby on my back in the Ergo and her car seat, which while lighter than most, is still pretty heavy and bulky.

It occurred to me as I was hauling this mess (just call me Number 7) through the airport that I am a friggin idiot for not buying the little cart for the car seat so that I could be merrily rolling it along instead of huffing and puffing like some kind of pack animal. 90 bucks started to seem like a paltry amount compared to the suffering I was going through. I was also cursing myself for not getting my diaper bag repaired like I should have beforehand. But, I figured too late now and I'll change my system next time.

All was fine on the trip there but on the trip back was when it all went horribly wrong. I was trudging along to my gate when I suddenly found myself falling forward. With the bags and carseat in my hands and Ruby on my back (25 lbs bless her little heart) my balance was all off and down I was going and I could neither stop it nor hold my hands out to break my fall. Out of nowhere, this guy parks himself in front of me like a linebacker and I slammed into him and we all went down together. OOF!

Miraculously, no one was hurt and Ruby was even laughing (What a fun ride!). However, if if this wonderful man hadn't been there and willing to sacrifice himself, I am sure I would have, at the very least, broken my face and god knows what would have happened to Ruby. Turns out, his wife was buying a t-shirt so he just happened to be at the right place and time to save me. In the end, all that really hurt was my pride...and let's face it, my pride has taken a worse beating than this. So, Mr. Nice Sweater - thank you for saving me!!

Lucky for me, he was on my flight so I got to relive my humiliation again and again :-) Moral of the story? Don't procrastinate and spend the money for the little wheely cart for the carseat. That or make one of those little airport cars pick you up! Phew!

No comments: