Friday, February 27, 2009

Adios Chupa!

I don't want to jinx it but we just now finished up night 4 of no chupa chup. Un. Be. Lieve. Able. On Tuesday night, Ruby threw a colossal tantrum as Dustin was putting her to bed. After she was crying for several minutes, he went back in there and tried to offer her her chupa chup since she had thrown it on the floor. She refused it and threw it back at him. So, he said, "That's it. No more chupa chup." She cried for maybe 45 minutes and then...that was it. She slept almost the whole night through. She woke up a couple of times, squawked and then right back to sleep. The second night, she asked for her chupa, Dustin told her they were all gone and she cried for maybe 10 minutes and done. The third night, she resisted, but didn't cry -- it just took her almost an hour to fall asleep. Last night, she was being very very silly right as I was putting her down and then laid her head on my shoulder for two seconds and then leaned towards her crib and said, "Bed!" I laid her down and that was that. Wow. So far, much easier than I had anticipated!



She hasn't used one for naptime for some time and we had been prepping her beforehand -- telling her that the chupas were for babies and not for big girls, that we were going to give her chupas to Baby Ari etc. Yesterday when we saw Baby Willa, she was very interested in her chupa chup but only to give it to Willa.



I will say that there is a part of me that is very sad by this transition. I mean, I am proud of my little monkey, to be sure, but I just think about how much she loves/loved that thing and how much it relaxed her and I feel a little sad and mean that I am taking that away. However, I know that giving her a chance to learn how to sooth herself without it is the best thing and I am so happy that's she figuring it out so quickly! Plus, I had noticed her front teeth are starting to push out a little so maybe she'll be really happy when she's older that maybe we can afford to pay for some college rather than spending all of our money on orthodontia bills.

1 comment:

Jake and Olivia's mom said...

It's good you did this early and not waited until 3 1/2 like we did! The pathetic cries of "I don't want to be a big boy, I want my BINKY! PLEASE, PLEASE!" were heartbreaking!