Thursday, October 30, 2008

I Said NO *&%^$& Paparrazi!!

Well, parenting just got a lot more fun. Just one day shy of her 21 month birthday, Ruby threw her first real tantrum. She's thrown little tantrums before but they have always been very very shortlived and easy to distract her from. This evening however, my normally easy-going and happy girl turned into a screaming, shoe-throwing, wailing Sean Penn....just in time for Halloween. Wouldn't even let me take a picture!

It all started when I wouldn't let her turn on the hot water faucet at the bathroom sink. Mean mommy. And let me tell you, she would not let it go. First she tried scooting a foot stool up to the sink and when that didn't work, she began to climb on the toilet. I told her that it was time to get ready for bed and we were going to get her pajamas and she howled and tried leaning to get me to go a different direction (kind of like you do when riding a horse) and when that didn't work...more screaming. I got her on the changing table and started taking off her shoes and she yelled, "No! No! No!" and kept trying to get her shoes back on. She really didn't want to take off her shirt. I put her on the floor thinking that maybe she would want to pick the pajamas. "No!" she stated emphatically and shut the drawer, pushing all of the other drawers shut to prove her point.

At this point, I figured it was time to change tactics and so we went downstairs to change out the laundry for a change of pace and scenery. Didn't really help. She was really really mad. Even the faithful chupa chup was not the answer. I did finally get her in her pj's and read a story and she calmed down a bit....until I put her in her crib. She is now pretty calmed down but wowee...what a doozy! Looks like the 'terrible twos' hit a teeny tiny bit early.

No comments: