Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Being a Parent is Hard

This photo is of our dear sweet miss when she was done with posing and looking cute. It's how we know it's time to stop whatever it is we are doing. Her little fists clench and she holds them at her side and punches the air. If she could, she'd stamp her foot and toss her hair. Now, she's also got another little trick up her sleeve that's less than pleasant. The past four nights, instead of sweetly going to sleep when we lie her in her crib, as she usually does, she yells. Not just a cry or even a mad cry but a cry with yelling. That's the only way I can explain it. It's like she has been wronged in the worst way possible and she is letting us know. And she let's us know for at least 40 minutes before she finally falls asleep. Which is why for two days she's sounded a little like a mini Bea Arthur. Luckily, it is getting shorter and shorter with last night only at 15 minutes. This is good because the mommy-me haaaaaaaaaaaaates the crying and just wants to hold her and comfort her but if I do go in there, she screams louder. So I don't. Because the practical-me doesn't want her to make this latest trick a regular thing and from what I've read, this is where it starts. I can see why those Nanny 911 people have such problems - it probably all starts in these first few months. I don't want to be the mom who makes her husband drive her kids around for 2 hours in the minivan every night to get them to sleep. So, I grit my teeth and fight against my instinct to comfort and hope for the best. See? Being a parent is hard.

2 comments:

Otto's Mommy said...

Lupine, I can't stop chuckling! I'm right there with you. Not with the cryelling, but with the audacity of being a parent. You just never know what's next. My life used to be predictable and now it's chaotic. Luckily, somehow we survive.

Baby Mama said...

I am sorry you are having such a hard time, but thankful that you share these things. It is hard and every time you mention these things, I remember that it's all a crap shoot. You know, she's healthy and happy and you're doing great!