Saturday, September 8, 2007

And the hunt goes on....

Well, my hunt for daycare has yet to yield any satisfying results. I have interviewed several places and it's been discouraging to say the least. I talked to one woman yesterday that I really liked -- immediately, I got the warm fuzzies and knew she'd be good. Unfortunately, I can't afford her because she doesn't do part-time care. The second person I interviewed, scheduling and price weren't an issue. But her daycare was cluttery (junky), the yard unkempt and even though she knew I was coming 2 days in advance, hadn't bothered to print out her handbook. Earlier in the week I made an appointment with a place and when I arrived she wasn't there. All I can say with these last two is that if this is what happens when they are trying to sell themselves, what will happen when we are enrolled? NOT that that will happen but I just don't understand the mindset here. And I won't even go into the people who I've called that answer the phone with a grunt, don't have any idea how many kids they can take and are just plain rude. Sigh....makes me appreciate Ruby's current caregiver even more. I am trying to remain hopeful but am feeling more and more discouraged by the minute. Afterall, I think people should be lining up to pay ME to take care of Miss Ruby! Ha ha! In other news, Ruby had a little playdate with her pal Otto yesterday as I had an appointment in the afternoon. She helped Otto's mama bake a pie, played with his toys and barfed on his blanket. She seemed really intent on telling him stories and it was fun to watch the two of them interact. No teeth for her yet but she's been really drooly today. Might they be coming through? There's not much else to tell. I am just trying to stay positive though it's getting harder and harder. Today I am pretty much feeling just generally annoyed and unsatisfied but I think it's a result of the culmination of the events of this past summer and the current stresses of not having a safe place for my little peanut nailed down. At any rate, the general day to day stuff is just feeling like a little too much. I think that this means I need to chill this evening, enjoy my baby and watch something trashy on TV. More soon........

4 comments:

Otto's Mommy said...

We sure had fun having Ruby at our house last Friday. We'd love another play date. Otto's willing to share toys, drool and anything barf encrusted. Hang in there Lupine. You'll find the perfect match for Ruby soon.

Instant said...

Not sure what sort of daycare you're looking for, but have you tried asking around on one of the local parenting groups? Nanny/Childcare requests for recommendations go out all the time on them. Not sure what area you're looking in, but you can try:

Capitol Hill Parenting: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/capitolhillparenting/

Columbia City Parents:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/columbiacityparents/

Madrona Moms:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MadronaMoms/

Queen Anne Moms:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QueenAnneMoms/

I also realize that sometimes advice isn't wanted, but just a place to vent. I hear how hard it is to find a place for your kid, and I hope the one for you is just around the corner.

librarymeow said...

Thanks for the tips! I'll take any I can get!

karbinks said...

I think we're having the same experience looking for daycares. We have a place picked for next fall - I spoke to them 3 weeks ago and they were supposed to send me a contract and I still haven't gotten it. I called 3 times this week and no response.

I've also gotten the grunts and lackadaisical responses. I think people know that there is a daycare crunch out there and don't have to sell themselves. It's incredibly frustrating.