Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nanny Cat

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself... So, this morning, Ruby was a bit crabby. She was lying in her crib this a.m., happy as can be and suddenly just starts crying. So, I picked her up and she continued and began crying even harder. At this point, I notice Saffron is in the room with us at my feet but didn't think too much of it. I decided to take Ruby into the living room and see if I could get her to eat. Saffron followed us and sat at my feet. Ruby was still sobbing and wouldn't eat. She'd suck for a few seconds, stop and then continue her screaming. Saffron, in the meantime, jumped up on the couch, meowing and put her paw on Ruby's shoulder and sniffed her head. She kept looking at me with this anxious look on her face, like "DO something! The giant hairless kitten needs help!" When I moved Ruby to try the other side, Saffron jumped over to the coffee table and proceeded to nip at my feet, as though to tell me I need to wake up and get something going. Then, she jumped back over to the couch, got right up next to Ruby and started licking her head, all the while meowing and giving me a very reproachful look. When Ruby finally settled down and had something to eat, Saffron left her post and went to lie on the window seat. A few minutes later, Ruby began to cry again and Saffron was back at the couch, nipping my feet and licking her head. Talk about pressure! I mean, if your cat doesn't think you are doing a very good job, what does that say? Some might say that I am just a ninny and projecting onto the cat, but I know that's not it. Truthfully, it made me feel a whole lot better. Ruby's been doing this a lot lately -- crying and crying and seeming like she wants to eat but refusing to do so and it's been stressing me out. I probably would have been crying along with her if Saffron hadn't been there with me, helping me out. I almost feel like I should be calling Alan Thicke and have her featured on Miracle Pets. Perhaps Dustin and I are suckers for paying for childcare when we have a perfectly good cat...........

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Go Saffy! Now if you could only get Fritz and Sparrow to jump in and do laundry and change diapers, you'd be set!

Christine said...

That is hilarious, and so sweet! Thanks for the great story...

Baby Mama said...

Saffron is like Lassie!