Saturday, May 5, 2007

Last Gasp

Well, my last week of maternity leave was quite a joy really and I enjoyed every last second of it. We started off with our last baby storytime at the beautiful Central library with the multi-talented Betsy. We walked away with some good little songs to sing and activities to do at home. I also squirreled away tips and tricks for my own storytimes when I start doing them again next week. It was a lot of fun for all of us! Even Dustin got in on the action for a couple of them!
On Tuesday, we went to the Spanish playgroup in Wallingford and met up with Sarah and Renee. Afterwards, Wanda met up with us and we had some delicious sushi....mmmm! We felt the need for a little chocolate (you know, to get that sushi taste out of our mouths) and went over to Chocolati for some coffee and a cookie. What a great little place. Not only was the service spectacular, their chocolate covered candied ginger is the bomb! Here's a pic of Renee and Wanda and their babes just as we were finishing up our treats.
We kept up our usual Wednesday activity, going to Next Months (the continuation of First Weeks) and then visiting at the UW to the crew in the Romance Language division. Made me realize how much I miss those people...not the job, mind you.. just the people! :-) And then Sarah, Danette and I took the babes to the movies on Thursday in Bellevue. We saw "Hot Fuzz" and while much more gory than I had anticipated, I enjoyed it very much because it was funny and made me laugh and made me forget the pit in my stomach everytime I remembered I was going back to work in two days. Friday was spent going for a long walk, ending up at the library (ironic eh) and enjoying beautiful spring sunshine.
And that brings us to today...drudge. Ok, not really but kinda. I realized that the feeding/pumping schedule coupled with the work schedule is going to be a big pain in the patoot since my schedule is different depending upon the day. It was hard to leave Ruby but I knew that she was going to have a wonderful time with Dustin and that Dustin also needs to experience Ruby the way I have the past few months. I think they had fun today! He brought her by for an afternoon feed and that helped my anxiety level a bit. It is a bit surreal being at work, not pregnant and knowing I have this other life at home. But, on the upside, it's nice to be back in the swing of things again and seeing familiar faces at the library. One young patron, who while often challenging, is also a favorite of mine, welcomed me back with a big handshake and that was quite nice. Buuut...that being said, I think it's going to get harder before it gets easier to leave the munchkin especially once we are doing daycare exclusively. Sigh...there's just no easy solution to this career/motherhood pickle.
And here's our little Red Sox fan. More soon....

2 comments:

Los padres de Marcos Gabriel said...

Cute Red Sox fan! I'm procrastinating on packing...who woulda thunk I would do that with a kid. I have everything laid out just need to put in suitcase. But wanted to send you the link to my journal so you could see my latest entry...I am with you on the motherhood mix. Another friend calls it the "mommy myth" in terms of being able to balance career and mom...

http://lafiesta3.livejournal.com/

I'm a month away from going back and I get anxious...probably because when I come back from my trip I'll only have two weeks.

I wish you the best dear. You can do it...we can do it!!! Hollar if you need anything...I'll be back 5/18...

Misha said...

Lupine--thanks for sharing your first day back. I am so freaked out about returning to work and how much I will miss Blix...argh. We'll make it through somehow. Hope to see you on Wednesday for a full recap.